Subjunctive KoL: PulverizeGuide
Pulverize is a level-15 Seal Clubber skill. Getting the skill grants you two abilities:
- First, you can use your tenderizing hammer to pulverize equipment into its essence.
- Second, assuming you have access to the Brotherhood of the Smackdown, you can use the Malus of Forethought within to further refine these essences.
Note that neither pulverizing nor using the Malus takes any Adventures. You must have a tenderizing hammer in order to pulverize things, however.
Pulverizing is quite simple. When you pulverize a piece of equipment, it is destroyed, and you get one or more of the following items:
- Useless powder
- Twinkly, hot, cold, sleaze, spooky, or stench powder
- Twinkly, hot, cold, sleaze, spooky, or stench nuggets
- Twinkly, hot, cold, sleaze, spooky, or stench wads
The exact rules are not known precisely (and there is some randomness -- pulverizing the same item will not always yield the same results), but here are the general principles:
- Pulverizing a non-enchanted item will always yield useless powder.
- The more powerful the item pulverized, the better the item(s) received (wads are better than nuggets, which are better than powder).
- Pulverizing items which do elemental damage tend to yield items of that element, though getting twinkly (which is "no element") is always a possibility.
- Pulverizing items which confer elemental resistance tend to yield items of the opposing elements to that element.
- The quality of the return is not generally affected by the rarity of the item, so don't pulverize your plexiglass, spooky hockey masks, or time swords unless you want a lot of disappointment. The one exception is the five ultra-rares, which do yield a useful reward. See "Ultimate Wad" at the bottom of the page. (Thanks to all of the brave and insane smashers, especially Crovax1234, who did the dirty work on this.)
The Malus of Forethought
The Malus of Forethought can be used to convert items into more powerful versions. You can trade in 5 powder of the same kind for 1 nugget of that type, and similarly you can trade in 5 nuggets of the same kind for 1 wad of that type.
The powders may be consumed directly to yield 5 adventures of an effect which gives you resistance against the given element (with twinkly counting as "physical"). They may also be cooked (except for the twinkly powder) with a scrumptious reagent (if you have Advanced Saucecrafting) to create a phial of that elemental form. See RecipeList for details. The consumption effects are:
- cold powder: 5 Insulated Trousers effect (slight cold resistance)
- hot powder: 5 Flame-Retardant Trousers effect (slight hot resistance)
- sleaze powder: 5 Sleaze-Resistant Trousers effect (slight sleaze resistance)
- spooky powder: 5 Spookypants effect (slight spooky resistance)
- stench powder: 5 Smelly Pants effect (slight stench resistance)
- twinkly powder: 5 Twinklebritches effect (increased damage absorption)
The nuggets may be consumed directly to yield 5 adventures of an effect which gives you bonus damage of that element (again, with twinkly counting as "physical"). If you have The Way of Sauce skill, you can cook the nuggets (except the twinkly nuggets) with a scrumdiddlyumptious solution to get an elemental and sour sauce. See RecipeList for details. The consumption effects are:
- cold nuggets: +5 Frigid Weapon effect (+3 cold damage)
- hot nuggets: +5 Flaming Weapon effect (+3 hot damage)
- sleaze nuggets: +5 Sleazy Weapon effect (+3 sleaze damage)
- spooky nuggets: +5 Spooky Weapon effect (+3 spooky damage)
- stench nuggets: +5 Stinky Weapon effect (+3 stench damage)
- twinkly nuggets: +5 Twinkly Weapon effect (+3 melee damage)
The wads are much more powerful when consumed. They yield 1 Adventure, stat boots in all three stats, and 10 adventures of an effect which gives you both elemental resistance and added elemental damage, plus increasing your stats as well. However, this comes at the price of 1 spleen damage, so you can't consume an unlimited number of wads. The wads (again, except the twinkly wad) can be cooked with a scrumdiddlyumptious solution to produce a different elemental wad; the sequence goes hot wad → cold wad → spooky wad → stench wad → sleaze wad → hot wad.
- cold wad: +1 Adventure, +24-30 Mus, +16-20 Mys, +8-10 Mox, +10 Cold Blooded effect (so-so cold resistance, +10 cold damage, +30% Mus, +20% Mys, +10% Mox), 1 Spleen
- hot wad: +1 Adventure, +24-30 Mus, +8-10 Mys, +16-20 Mox, +10 Hot Blooded effect (so-so hot resistance, +10 hot damage, +30% Mus, +10% Mys, +20% Mox), 1 Spleen
- sleaze wad: +1 Adventure, +12-15 Mus, +12-15 Mys, +24-30 Mox, +10 Supafly effect (so-so sleaze resistance, +10 sleaze damage, +15% Mus, +15% Mys, +30% Mox), 1 Spleen
- spooky wad: +1 Adventure, +8-10 Mus, +24-30 Mys, +16-20 Mox, +10 Spooky Demeanor effect (so-so spooky resistance, +10 spooky damage, +10% Mus, +30% Mys, +20% Mox), 1 Spleen
- stench wad: +1 Adventure, +16-20 Mus, +24-30 Mys, +8-10 Mox, +10 Stenchtastic effect (so-so stench resistance, +10 stench damage, +20% Mus, +30% Mys, +10% Mox), 1 Spleen
- twinkly wad: +1 Adventure, +8-10 Mus, +8-10 Mys, +8-10 Mox, +10 Aspect of the Twinklefairy effect (+5 melee damage, +10% all stats), 1 Spleen
Pulverizing an ultra-rare (hypnodisk, crazy bastard sword, Talisman of Baio, incredibly dense meat gem, or hockey stick of furious angry rage; presumably also a Platinum Yendorian Express Card or Talisman of Bakula) will yield the coveted ultimate wad. The courageous (and crazy -- did I mention crazy?) people who have tried this have discovered that consuming the ultimate wad will yield a number of stats in your main stat exactly equal to one level's worth (of your current level), with half that much in each of your secondary stats, at a cost of all 15 of your spleen.